permissions on a Verbatim USB external drive

I am having problems with a Verbatim USB external hard drive Model 47512 1TB
It belongs to someone else, let's say User.  He is using Squeeze with TDE, I
think 3.5.12.

(tl;dr - read next paragraph, then skip to last paragraph!)

The Verbatim belongs to User, and needs to function on his box.  But it
cannot be written to from his box, even as root, and returns "access denied"
to most files and directories that I try to copy over.

It seems to be fine connected to my desktop.

I have looked at permissions, and they do in some cases appear wrong, in
particular the permission for the root file (/media/VERBATIM) was wrong.
Sadly, I can't remember in what way, and cannot check because at present I
have no access to User's computer.  I had some rather enthusiastic help when
I was last there, and was unable to take notes.

But the crux of the problem is that I could not successfully change any of the
permissions that were wrong, even as root.  It strikes me that the UID
numbers may not match, though since it is using Squeeze, as is my desktop, I
would have thought that they would be standard Debian (1000 for first user,
1001 for second user etc.). :-/  But anyway, I would have expected root to be
able to change things!

I shall have access to User's computer on Thursday.  I shall take various Live
CDs with me, including Clonezilla.  Advice on lines of enquiry most
gratefully received! I have been Googling and have found various things that
should be useful, but have found nothing that sufficiently resembles my
problem.  My Google-foo is obviously at a low ebb.

As I say, I would be grateful for suggestions as to lines of enquiry.

Thanks,
Lisi