Re: Wanted: an internet free minimal Debian install

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Kelly Clowers wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>>>
>>> Tom H poked me that the netinst image can be used without a network.
>>> It is 168M and much smaller than the full CD#1. I just did an install
>>> test using it in Expert mode and was able to verify that it is indeed
>>> possible to use the smaller netinst image on a system without a
>>> network. Using Expert mode and manual selections it was possible to
>>> install and avoid seeing any errors.
>>
>> That is how I always install, I never install more packages than what
>> is on the netinst cd till after a reboot. I guess I figured everyone knew.
>
> I think that ex-pats coming from other distros don't realize this
> because most other distros, I'm looking at you RH, don't really give
> the option to only install a subset. The installer there is really
> designed to give you very large chunks. GNOME, KDE, Software
> Development, large chunks like those are selectable or not in the
> installer. Sure you can unselect any of those but the resulting
> system is still quite large. If people are used to that then they
> never think that other systems might be different.

Fedora's Anaconda allows you to install a minimum system and allows
you to choose from far more yum groups that d-i allows you to choose
from tasksel tasks. You can also customize the packages within a
group.

Fedora also has a netinst iso that's equivalent in functionality to
Debian's businesscard iso.

I pointed out to the OP in a thread that he started a few months ago -
on the same recurring topic - that the size of the installer has no
effect on the size of the install. Furthermore, since he has purchased
a set of Debian DVDs, he has no reason to use any other iso!