Re: Looking for alias-like behavior that works with Alt-F2

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:09:18AM -0700, Aubrey Raech wrote:
> I am running Debian Wheezy with GNOME 3.4. I use Alt-F2 a lot to run
> some programs, things like gnome-terminal and gnome-dictionary. Those
> are annoying to type out in full, so currently I have created symbolic
> links from /usr/local/bin/gt to /usr/bin/gnome-terminal, and
> /usr/local/bin/gdic to /usr/bin/gnome-dictionary. This is a Bad Way to
> do it, and is amost certainly the least elegant or correct way to
> solve this problem. I shouldn't need root privileges to make shortcut
> names like this!

Why not just create a keybinding that calls your applications?
I have alt-shift-t call my terminal (terminator), for instance,
and alt-b call my browser (iceweasel), and alt-e call my editor (gvim).
I have alt-p call dmenu. I've got dozens of these.
I have alt-x lock my screen down (xscreensaver-command -lock)
I use openbox, in which it's easy to add these in the rc.xml,
but, to my knowledge, almost any WM or DE has means of configurating
keybindings.
I even have the "PrintScrn" button bound to a script that snaps
a screenshot with scrot, then opens it in gthumb to preview it (or crop,
resize, etc.)

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me