Re: I wish to advocate linux

On 28 February 2013 14:21, Martin McCormick <martin@x.it.okstate.edu> wrote:
> There was once a fellow on a list I belong to whose postings
> were one tale of woe after another...

Yes, this whole thread/tale is reminding me of when I first installed
a Linux system (SuSE 6.2, back in 1999). It took about 5 or 6 hours as
I had to refer to a very large manual (I always liked that SuSE
shipped with a very good and very large manual back in those days). I
wasn't a computer user at all (I'd just bought a computer, didn't want
Windows on it, so was trying this cool 'Linux' thing out - I'd used my
friend's Windows 95 machine a few times, but that was about it for
'computer knowledge'. (The book I think was removed from the boxset
when SuSE became just so easy to install.)

After getting stuck within the installation at 'mount points' (I seem
to remember after reading the manual that I created about 10
partitions(!) and had seperate partitions for /, /home, /usr,
/usr/local, /boot, /opt, /var and everything else) I ended up with a
desktop running KDE 1.1.

With zero (or very very little) computing knowledge/experience at all.

I don't understand why Mr. Filipak has not downloaded an iso (my
recommendation would be Linux Mint, either Cinnamon or MATE would be
fine), burnt that image to a disc, put that disc in his DVD drive and
installed (or at least run a live session) a Linux system. There seems
to be a lot of complaints but no specific problems.

On 25 February 2013 23:35, Mark Filipak <markfilipak.linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you a fan of Shakespeare tragedies? I think Linux is a good subject.
> It's so hard to comment constructively without seeming to bitch. It's a
> tragedy.

No, it's not. It really isn't.

Please, for your own sake, go to Linux Mint's site, grab an iso and
try that installation. 99% of hardware is fully supported with Mint -
at least try that. If something goes wrong then tell us the specifics.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Atb,