stun server. (just want to clear my concept)

i know this is not a right place to ask this question but it is just a
concept clearing query. if appreciate any comment but since i only use
debian as a whole solution i could not stop my self throwing this
question. please ignore if you don't like to answer.

actually i am looking in to installing Jabber XMPP server on Debian
(openfire) and just i was doing my normal R&D and i eventually end up
on a option where it needs stun server. for voice and video
communication.

i know what stun does but i have a question to make thing more good
conceptually.
please correct me if my concept is wrong or worst about stun :P

stun server is mainly used for Voice and Video due to their UDP in
nature. so that if UDP recipient want to response back with voice or
video packet it returns back to Stun and stun route back to our local
server. but the question is why?. if i have a public Ip which is
published behind "example.com" and i have all the necessary port
forwarded to the jabber server so the recipient end could  send its
response to my public IP rather then stun server and in my opinion it
should work as all the ports are properly forwarded.

secondly, cant we use VPN as a substitute. where routing would be
properly done. and no need to relay on public stun server?

is there any one like to explain.

Thanks