Re: Keyboard remapping

Hi

On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 09:09 +0000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
Hi,

I recently bought a new laptop.

Annoyingly the laptop function key is where you'd expect the control key
and the control key is one key in from the left.

Is it possible to make the fn key act as a control key inside of linux?
(I'd like to keep the functions of the fn key combinations if
possible).

Oh - that's really something you want to check before buying it !

Unfortunately, in my experience, the answer to your question is no.  The problem is that the Fn key does not send a keycode to the O/S like the Ctrl key does - it is handled entirely in the keyboard (firmware?) itself.

However, you can probably swap Caps Lock and Ctrl ... I've done that in the past when I have worn out the left Ctrl key...

Thanks,
Daniel