A tale of four drivers

Trying to configure a Squeeze install to access several NTFS partitions on the same

drive, I installed both ntfs-config and Disk-Manager. Apparently these two packages

are not related? I had the impression that DM was the gui/front end for ntfs-config but

apparently it isn't.

Still, once I had both of them on the system I opened DM and tried to add the NTFS

partitions to the system. It worked easily enough in that I just clicked on the list and it set

them up. But it did this rather weirdly. The driver it chose for those partitions by default

was "ntfs (Unknow Driver)" and the misspelled "Unknow" is how it is really described in

the list. Also in the list are plain "ntfs", "ntfs-fuse", and "ntfs-3g". Four different drivers?

Why so many? And why did it choose the strange one (last in the list) as the default?

Could that have been caused by having both DM and ntfs-config installed at the same

time? When I plug a thumb-drive formatted with ntfs into the machine, I see that it uses

"fuseblk" as the driver. Is that the same as "ntfs-fuse" in the DM list? Is that the preferred

default driver for Debian? Or is it ntfs-3g, which seems to be the one under most active

development? For now I am using ntfs-3g. But I'd like to be sure I am using the most

reliable driver so I don't screw up my data partitions.