Re: Running pae kernel on non-pae system

On 23/02/13 18:36, Debian@paulscrap.com wrote:
Hi Folks,

	Last night I updated an older laptop of mine from Squeeze to Wheezy.
It went fine, but I did run into an odd particularity.

	This system (Dell D505) has a Pentium M processor.  My understanding is
that the Pentium M's are just about the only modern(ish) processor
without pae, and thus kernels with pae compiled in can't run on it. (pae
doesn't show up in the cpu flags)

	During the upgrade I did get warnings about it not supporting pae, so I
did make sure to install the 486 image, but forgot to remove the 686-pae
(removed 686, though).  That's not a big deal, though.  It just means
I'd have to select the 486 kernel to boot up and fix it, right?

	I wasn't paying attention during reboot, and it went to 686-pae by
default.  Imagine my surprise when it started up with no problems.  It's
still running on that kernel!

	Any ideas?  Was my understanding about pae wrong? Can the recent Debian
kernels disable pae on their own (something I didn't think was
possible)?  Do I have a magical Pentium M?

	Some info from the system below:

$ uname -a
Linux MIT-D505-L 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.35-2 i686 GNU/Linux

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 13
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
stepping	: 6
microcode	: 0x18
cpu MHz		: 600.000
cache size	: 2048 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush
dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe up bts est tm2
bogomips	: 1198.81
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

I think the pae bit will only be used by CPUs that support it, otherwise it will be ignored and run normally. Only some "really old" CPUs (like some others I do run) won't be supported.

My laptop shows:

dom@oz:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 9
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz
stepping	: 5
microcode	: 0x7
cpu MHz		: 600.000
cache size	: 1024 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm pbe up bts est tm2
bogomips	: 1196.90
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

and an even older laptop gives:

dom@rodney:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: Celeron (Coppermine)
stepping	: 1
microcode	: 0xf
cpu MHz		: 498.435
cache size	: 128 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
bogomips	: 996.87
clflush size	: 32
cache_alignment	: 32
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

Both running the 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel

--
Dom