Re: Two questions about kfreebsd

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013, Steven Chamberlain wrote:

On 22/02/13 05:49, Bret Busby wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2013, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
[...]
vm.swappiness controls the balance of RAM/swap used, on some 0 to 100
scale.

I am not sure how or where I set it, but, from memory, I had set it to 80.

It's a sysctl, so you adjust it like this (as root user) :

# sysctl -w vm.swappiness=60

And you could put "vm.swappiness=60" (without quotes) in your
/etc/sysctl.conf to have it always set to this on boot.

Okay - I did a cat on the file, and found it to be set at 70. I had believed that I had changed it to be set at 80 - maybe I had done the command at the command line, and it had not been saved to the file, so that the next time that the system had booted, the setting change had been lost.

I have now used vi and edited the sysctl.conf file, and, set it to 90. and that shows as having been saved to the file.

I have also run the command from the command line, to change the swappiness to 90;

"
:~# sysctl -w vm.swappiness=90
vm.swappiness = 90
"

However, I am not seeing any change to the swapping.

"
:~# free
total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 8059964 7832348 227616 0 94912 1356280
-/+ buffers/cache:    6381156    1678808
Swap:     42860340     891348   41968992
"

The main application that I am at present running, is konqueror, running as a web browser, running multiple windows of it.

Alongside that, I am also running (at present) Ekiga and skype, and, yesterday, I had a couple of successful video calls via skype, with the low available memory, although, in one of the calls, the video went still (froze, bit not pixelated or lost) one or two times.

The slow data transfer rate, and, the slow loading of web pages (often involving timeouts), is within konqueror.

Within konqueror, I have javascript disabled (malware that javascript is!), as, amongst other things, javascript unnecessarily, excessively, ties up resources.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."