Re: Debian 7

Le 21.02.2013 20:36, rodrigo tavares a écrit :
Hello,

When Debian 7 is stable ?
I read this version have packages more recent.
I want install mail server.

Is anybody installing the debian version 7 ?

Atenciosamente,

Rodrigo Faria Tavares

Packages are far more recent than on Debian 6, yes.

However, debian 7 is currently the "testing" branch, named wheezy. It is not officially stable enough to be considered as stable, for Debian quality standards. It is frozen for many months now, but I have no idea about when it will become the official stable.

My own opinion is that it is enough stable for normal users, but I think that since a server does not needs last versions of softwares, stable is better for them. Some people will say that unstable is better for security issues, because it is harder to exploit flaws when the software changes constantly. I am not a professional admin so I will not say they are true (in fact, I think some of those arguments are very interesting). Now, remember that some distributions like Ubuntu are built on Debian sid, aka Debian unstable, and are sometimes installed on servers. (I just say that to give a general picture, not to say I agree or disagree with people doing so)