Re: window stickyness and focus

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 05:19:45AM -0500, shawn wilson wrote:
> I have two problems here but I think they're somewhat related:
>
> First, I have vim as an alias to a shell script that basically does:
> vim --servername $USER --remote-tab $1
> and I generally run gvim --servername $USER
> which means, when I open a file, gvim pops in front. However, when vim
> displays a message (there's a swp file or something) keyboard focus is
> still on the terminal. That is, I see vim with the file that I want
> open, but when I type, I'm typing on the commandline (generally end up
> with jjjjjjjkk before I realize what's happened).

Perhaps not entirely a solution, but have you looked at "cream for vim"
(package: cream)? That puts some niceties on GVim for example popping up
a graphical dialog asking for input with regards to swap files etc.

> How do I make sure keyboard focus stays with what is being displayed?
>
> Second, I use matcher in urxvt - that is:
> URxvt.perl-ext-common: default,matcher
> so that I can have firefox open on links by clicking on them. However,
> My terminal (and vim) work are in window 1 and my web browsers stay in
> window 2. But, when I click on a link, firefox migrates to window 1.
> How do I stop this from happening?
>
> Running straight xfce4 (no visualizations or other addons that I know of).

The other alternative is to use something like Devil's Pie (package:
devilspie) which is a scriptable Window Manager (not a full WM, but
rather you can tell it things like "Firefox must always be on window
2").