Re: Failed deb build

Brad Alexander wrote:
> Hopefully someone here can help me. I haven't rolled a deb in years (a
> testimonial to Debian's repos), but now I need to. A user needs a
> newer version of torque. The repos have 2.4.16, and he needs 4.0.2.
> So, having not built one in forever, I did a ./configure; make and it

Just FYI but the debian-mentors mailing list is a good place to ask
for help concerning Debian packaging.  That is the focus of that
mailing list.

> compiled cleanly. I did an apt-get source for 2.4.16, pulled the 4.0.2
> sources, then untarred the /debian directory into the 4.0.2 sources. I
> had to delete the patches directory.
>
> Once done, I dch -i and updated the version, then did a debuild -us
> -uc. It compiled for a while, then justbefore building the binaries,

Sounds completely reasonable so far.

> I got
>
> make[5]: Leaving directory
> `/home/storm/torque/torque-4.0.2/debian/build/without-x/src/lib'
> make[4]: Leaving directory
> `/home/storm/torque/torque-4.0.2/debian/build/without-x/src/lib'
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/storm/torque/torque-4.0.2/debian/build/without-x/src/lib'
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/storm/torque/torque-4.0.2/debian/build/without-x/src'
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/storm/torque/torque-4.0.2/debian/build/without-x'
> rm -rf /home/storm/torque/torque-4.0.2/debian/torque-client/usr/lib
> chrpath --delete `ls
> /home/storm/torque/torque-4.0.2/debian/torque-client/usr/bin/* | egrep
> -v '/(nqs2pbs|xpbs)' `
> chrpath --delete
> /home/storm/torque/torque-4.0.2/debian/torque-client/usr/sbin/pbs_iff
> open: No such file or directory
> elf_open: Invalid argument
> make: *** [install] Error 1
> dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
> debuild: fatal error at line 1350:
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc -sa -i -I failed

That looks like the problem was in the upstream part of the Makefile
build.  But it may have been due to how ./debian/rules called it.

Does it build manually with 'make'?  Walk through the ./debian/rules
file and recreate the steps and see if you can debug the problem.
Probably the rules file needs to be updated.  I think it likely that
the configure and build options need to be adjusted for the newer
version.

You probably already know this but the rules file is a Makefile.  It
is executable with a "#!/usr/bin/make -f" line so that it can be
executed and be something different than a Makefile.  But you can
debug it with 'make -f debian/rules clean' and other targets.

> One other thing I have noticed is that in
> /home/storm/torque/torque-4.0.2, it creates the following symlink:
>
> torque-4.0.2 -> /home/storm/torque/torque-4.0.2
>
> Which is something I don't recall seeing before.

Often upstream build systems do bad things such as encoding in their
build location in obscure ways.  It isn't unusual to find
/home/$DEVELOPER encoded somewhere in packages.  It is bad.  When
found those need to be cleaned up so that the installed package isn't
dependent upon those paths.  You should dig that out.

> I'm not sure where to look to find what the error is telling me. Can
> someone point me in the right direction?

I would write the package maintainer and discuss it.  Of course Sid is
in freeze for the Wheezy release so it shouldn't be uploaded until
after the release.  But most would welcome a beta test of a new
package.  Especially since that appears to be a large version jump.
Seeing something like that in experimental would be a good thing.

Bob