Re: OT - Convert output of byte count to GB count?

On 12/02/13 22:43, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> My machine has got 4GB RAM too, but only 1,000,000,000 hex-bytes ;p.
> Serious, there is no other correct sum than 4,294,967,296 bytes. For an
> old former Assembler programmer it's disgusting to distinguish between
> GB and GiB. OTOH kilos etc. are 10^x, but for the computer I do the math
> based on 1024.

Abusing the standard prefixes like that was always a horrible hack.

GiB is a nice way to give humans a rough idea of what scale we're
talking about, while giving the standard multipliers their proper
meaning back.

Perhaps we should just give up, and call it 10^8 base 16? (I think you
got an extra 0 there?) - or 10^100000 base 2 :-)

Richard