how to deliver local mail to /var/mail ?

hi,

I have configured maildrop to filter message as suggested by
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch06.en.html

The problem is, local mail also delivered to the Maildir folder, there
is no mail left under /var/mail for thunderbird to read.

It is said that thunderbird already support Maildir, but after test it
looks like thunderbird doesn't read maildir like mutt does, at least it
can not open mails delivered by maildrop. It would be better let
maildrop(or exim4) deliver mail to /var/mail/$username in mbox format.

I am thinking there might be two ways to do it:

1) config exim4 not to invoke maildrop. Does exim4 deliver local mail to
/var/mail by default?

2) config maildrop deliver local mail to /var/mail in mbox format while
deliver the rest of mails still in Maildir format. Is it possible and how
to do it?

--
Chen Wei