Re: Moving mdadm raid volume to new OS install

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
Shane Johnson wrote:
> Sam Martin wrote:

...174 lines snipped...

It would be super awesome if you would trim the previously quoted
material to just the parts you are responding to before mailing.  Thanks.

Sorry about that - will do from now on.

> From my experience you have to manually put it in there.  Going from
> memory, I believe that *mdadm -E --scan > /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf *should do

The mdadm man page describes the command in the examples section.

  man mdadm

I would not use a '>' to truncate and rewrite the file.  Since there
are other things in that file I think it is best to merge the two by
hand.  The man page documents needing the DEVICE directive for
example.  But along with it are these that would be lost:

Thank you for catching that, I thought I had put >> in for append.  Probably, also why what I read suggested manual manipulation.  Obviously it's really easy to do > and wipe out a file when you meant >>.

  Better to write the output
to a temporary file location and then merge them in by hand.

Good Suggestion.

--
Shane D. Johnson
IT Administrator