Re: whether to install Squeeze or Wheezy

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 05:46:02PM -0200, William Ivanski wrote:
> On 06-02-2013 17:04, Madhu Srinivasan wrote:
> >
> >Hello list,
> >
> >I am planning to install Debian on somewhat dated hardware: Intel
> >T2300 1.66Ghz, 1 gb RAM. I have used Ubuntu in the past and would
> >like to move up to something more stable and snappy. I will be
> >using my laptop to mostly output (digital) music to my amp, web
> >browsing, office and running Windows-based programs on WinXP via
> >VirtualBox. Performance is very important for me and that's one of
> >the main reasons why I am considering switching to Debian. At this
> >point I am debating whether to install Squeeze or Wheezy. I have
> >some specific questions which I think will help me decide between
> >the two, but feel free to give other inputs that might help me
> >decide.
> >
> >1.            How long will Squeeze be supported? At least 2 more years?
> >
> >2.            Can I install GTK3 themes on Gnome 2? I don't care
> >for compiz effects but I would like to install some GTK3 themes
> >like Gnome Cupertino.
> >
> >3.            However, if the fallback session of Gnome 3 (I don't
> >plan to use Gnome Shell) is likely to have a small RAM footprint
> >like Gnome 2, I would happily install wheezy (for they say Gnome 3
> >is built on new technology and better).
> >
> >Thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> >Madhu
> >

> Hi, Madhu,
>
> I am currently using Gnome Shell, and it indeed have a small RAM
> footprint like Gnome 2. It is using 124,2 MB right now.
> See this post: http://jeff.ecchi.ca/blog/2011/04/07/gnome-3-0s-ram-usage/

I briefly tested Wheezy.  I didn't check the RAM usage, but I found
Gnome Classic to be much more responsive than Gnome 3 Shell (same
machine, same OS).  I think it may be due to my laptop's lack of
hardware graphic acceleration, but that's just a guess.

-Rob