Re: Help with NIS+NFS in Squeeze

Dear Bob,

Em Dom, 2013-02-03 às 12:48 -0700, Bob Proulx escreveu:
> Markos wrote:
> > I'm trying to configure the services NIS+NFS in a small network (7 PCs),
> > all running Squeeze.
>
> Okay.  Sounds good.
>
> > The NIS service seems to be working
>
> Good.
>
> > but NFS don't mounts the /home partition on the clients during boot.
>
> Focus only on the NFS part of the debugging.  Do not be distracted by
> the NIS/yp part.  They may work together in supporting roles but they
> are completely independent subsystems.

This is important information for me. I had no experience with NIS or
NFS and I was very confused about the relationship between the two
services

> > But I can manually mount the /home partition on the clients with the
> > command:
> >
> > mount 192.168.0.1:/home /home
>
> Good.
>
> > I found the strange message in dmesg:
> >
> > svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97)
>
> I am unfamiliar with that error and searching didn't turn up anything
> for certain either.
>
> > How can I discover what is wrong?
>
> Almost always the information will be logged in /var/log/syslog and
> hopefully there will be clues there.  Start by looking there.

I only have access to computers on weekends.
The next weekend I'll check the error messages in syslog and I'll post
what I find.

> Thanks for including much information.  However the file I am
> interested in is /etc/network/interfaces.  The new device way is to
> support a hotpluggable event driven system.  That may be incompatible
> with the traditional nfs mounted home directory environment.
> Specifically you probably have this:
>
>   allow-hotplug eth0
>
> Try changing that line to:
>
>   auto eth0
>
> Then instead of using the new event driven control flow at boot time
> it will use the old legacy start-at-boot time control flow.  This will
> also re-enable use of 'service networking restart' as one of the
> working ways to restart the network.

I am making available information about mounting of this small network
on the site
http://www.c2o.pro.br/inf/pimentel/x30.html
but unfortunately the content is only in Portuguese.

The file /etc/network/interfaces of the server is:

# The loopback network interface
it self
inet loopback iface it

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

And the client is:

# The loopback network interface
it self
inet loopback iface it

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

> If the problem isolates itself to just that change then please file a
> bug with the details.  I happen to be running with 'auto' for other
> reasons and nis/yp with nfs mounted home direcotries is working fine
> for me.
>
> > In file /etc/fstab I included the line
> > 192.168.10.101:/home /home nfs rw,bg,tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,hard,nointr,nolock,noac,timeo=600,user,auto 0 0
>
> Secondly I would test it without the 'bg' option in the /etc/fstab.
> This is a philosophical issue but if the machine needs /home to be
> useful then I believe it should wait for it to be available before
> presenting a login to a user.  Otherwise the user will be confused
> that they can log in but don't have a home directory.

I copied these options from a site. I was thinking to simplify and
replace with just "defaults"

192.168.10.101:/home /home nfs defaults 0 0

What do you think about?

> > echo + >> /etc/passwd
> > echo + >> /etc/group
> > echo + >> /etc/shadow
> > echo + >> /etc/gshadow
>
> I know that is the legacy way but personally these days I prefer to
> use this configuration instead.  It is simpler.
>
> In /etc/nsswitch.conf file:
>
>   passwd:         files nis
>   group:          files nis
>   shadow:         files nis

Ok.

But what about the files /etc/passwd ... /etc/gshadow. Should remove the
"+" at the end of these files?

> Bob

After some time just reading manuals and mailing lists, I get confused
with so much information and a tip from someone more experienced is very
important.

Thank you verymuch for your attention.

Markos,
markos@c2o.pro.br