Re: Anybody have a chromebook? Can it run Debian?

On Sat, February 2, 2013 7:06 pm, zxcvbob wrote:
> Rick Thomas wrote:
>>
>> I was googling for an inexpensive laptop for a friend and came across
>> the chromebook C710 from Acer:
>>     http://www.staples.com/Acer-C710-2847-116-Chromebook/product_125265
>> or
>>     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215914
>>
>> • Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz
>> • 2GB Memory (expandable to 4GB) 320GB HDD (5400RPM)
>> • 11.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal™ LED-backlit LCD
>> • Wi-fi 802.11a/b/g/n
>> • Google Chome OS
>>
>> Price $200.
>> Can't beat the price!
>>
>> Does anybody have any experience with this device?  Can I put Debian on
>> it?  How about other flavors of Linux?  Failing that, what do you think
>> of Chrome-OS?  Can it run Libre Office?
>> Thanks!
>
> I have a different model Chromebook with an Atom processor and a SSD.
> It should run Debian just fine; I have Debian on an older netbook, but
> good luck installing it!  (My info is about a year old and from memory)
>   Chromebook BIOS is locked-down pretty tight.  You will have to find a
> "signed" installation distro and install it on the chromebook in
> "Developer Mode."
>
> Chrome OS runs on a Linux kernel, but the terminal has *very* few
> commands, and you cannot get to the update manager or install any Linux
> software.  You can install free "apps" from the Google store.
>
> It would be maddening as a primary computer, but I actually like it as a
> web appliance, except there is no native printing support.  (They
> *really* should support CUPS)  To print, you have to have a Windows or
> Mac running as a network print server, or a few newer printers have a
> built in Chrome-compatible print server.

Thanks for the word!

If you get to the recyclers, you can get some great deals.
I've had this laptop, about ten years old, an HP Compaq nx6120.
Debian installed natively on it, then I ran PC-BSD on it, now I'm
installing Debian testing on it, with Debian-Med and a few other packages
for a local charity nurse and giving it to her.
I think I paid something like $100 for it originally, about four years
ago, and it has never put a pixel wrong.
Nothing wrong with an old machine in good nick.
Regards,

Weaver

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its  government."
 -- Thomas Paine

Registered Linux User: 554515