Re: How to purge removed package?

Andrei POPESCU grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On Vi, 01 feb 13, 08:41:05, David Guntner wrote:
>>
>> aptitude search '~c'
>> So, having found several packages with the above command, I did a
>>
>> aptitude purge '~p'
>
> Typo or was that the issue (you didn't mention)?

Yea, that last one was a typo. :-)  Should have also been a '~c' there
as well.

Thanks to those who replied - I was able to get the package to remove
after sending the original posting.

For those who may be dieing of curiosity as to how I did it.... :-)

I found an article talking about a similar problem with a different
package.  In a nutshell, for *this* particular package, the solution I
used was:

rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/dovecot-common.*
aptitude purge dovecot-common

I made sure to look at dovecot-common.postrm first to be sure what it
was doing; in this case, it was trying to remove config files that
weren't there anymore.  And what I was reading showed the error I was
getting as being one that you'd get if there were things in that file
that didn't exist.  What I did above was the suggested fix, which seems
to have worked.

Given that the stuck package was one from version 1 of Dovecot and I'm
running version 2 from backports, I didn't want to attempt to force an
install of dovecot-common to then try to purge it again; I wasn't sure
how that would muck up the config files already in place.

All seems well.  Dovecot is still running after a restart to check, and
"aptitude search '~c'" comes up nice and clean now.  So for the time
being, I'm happy. :-)

               --Dave