Re: More than one window manager

Le 31.01.2013 19:39, Marcin Kłapkowski a écrit :
Hello,

I have Debian wheezy. I use i3 window manager, starting with xdm on
tty7. I wanted to test other window managers without changing my basic
config, and still using my desktop. Tried on tty6 with:
startx /usr/bin/awesome
it start nice, and it's working.
But when i switch to tty7 and back to tty6 i got console with X.org
starting messages, no desktop. I have to stop X and start again.
XDM doesn't have choice for window manager, so only .xsession is my
choice.
Any ideas how to make nice double desktop config?

Thanks
martin3z,

I'm not sure it will be a good solution for you, but here is my ".bash_profile":
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ];then
	startx
fi
I think that if you change the line "startx" to suit your needs, you could have different WM on different TTYs. Say, i3 for TTY1 and awesome for TTY2, by example.

Note: I am not sure, I did not tried to have more than one wm installed. I'm happy enough with i3 for now.