Re: Client "daemon" for sorting e-mail via IMAP

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013, Lázaro wrote:

aptitude search sieve|grep mailutils

I realised after I posted that I'd failed to state _why_ I switched to imapfilter rather than continuing to use one of the myriad of delivery filtering solutions available.

Over 15-20 years my ideas on how I want to sort my mail have changed significantly. I could simple resubmit all my email to the MTA and then re-sort it but this would alter the mail messages, which I don't want to do. What I want today is to be able to sort and re-sort my mail from time to time and leave it contents and headers unchanged.

I considered the 'fetchmail -m procmail' option mentioned earlier in the thread but decided to go for something a little more ambitious which led me to imapfilter.

Also, I never really liked Sieve much :)

My plan for the near future:

I have old mail that needs to be re-sorted. While I could re-sort everything periodically this is resource intensive (with a lot of mail) and would be fairly inefficient as most of the mail would not need to be re-sorted.

I'm going to be using an opportunistic approach. Every day (or every few hours) a script will randomly pick a mailbox and re-sort the contents. Thus over time my mail will approach a state of 'full sortedness' :)

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert@timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440