Re: moving from Kubuntu 10.4 to squeeze

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:34:08 Mark Allums wrote:
> The most noticeable difference to me has been the lack of drivers.  You are
> pretty much on your own finding drivers for things.  Debian supports older
> hardware quite well, but there is usually a long wait for it.
>
> Upgrades from release to release are more tricky than Ubuntu.  It is
> sometimes easiest to just install the new version "clean".
>
> If you run packages from Testing (starting, say 6 months after a release),
> go all out in Testing .  Mixing distributions leads to heartbreak.  Ditto
> Sid.  IF you run things from Sid, you're better off running a full Sid
> system rather than a mixed system with some packages from Testing and some
> from Sid.
>
> The only things to get from Experimental are possibly the latest iceweasel,
> or a new kernel.  But wait on the latter until the kbuild package is
> released, if you are going to need the kernel headers to compile hardware
> drivers (the classic example being nvidia-glx kernel module).  The headers
> depend on linux-kbuild, and the kernel guys often don't get around to
> packaging it right away.
>
>  I'm sure there are people with better advice,  Keep it coming, guys!

Thanks Mark, that is some good info. The only proprietary driver I had to
install was for the wireless, which I got from Dell. The laptop uses an Intel
graphics chip (I forget which one), but there was a bug with the drivers in
one 'buntu version (again I forget, might have been 10.04) which just about
drove me nuts until it was fixed.

I bought this laptop in early 2009,so it is by no means "new".

Mike

--
Mike McGinn		KD2CNU
Ex Uno Plurima