Re: Upgrade from stable to testing hosed my server

On 01/24/2013 02:30 PM, Mark Phillips wrote:

I used aptitude to upgrade a headless server from Debian stable to Debian testing. The upgrade did not generate any error messages, but when I rebooted I could not ssh into the box (connection refused) nor do I get any output on a monitor I attached to the box (no signal). Apache does not appear to be running either on the box (could not connect to the box). I can successfully ping the box.

Any suggestions on how to fix this this server would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,
it's very hard to help you right now. Do you have a log of the terminal session on which you performed the upgrade? Always read the upgrade notes first in the future. All of the notes from older stable release notes [1] will help you to perform the upgrade without any major issue. Of course there could be some differences, but none which will lead to unaccessible server.

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

--
Peter