Re: Talking to my cable modem

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:21:39 -0800
Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I recently purchased and began using a cable modem - the Zyxel (Hitron)
> > BRG-35503:
> >
> > http://www.hitrontech.com/en/cable_detail.php?id=3
> >
> > It (so far) Just Works (I plugged into my router running OpenWRT, the
> > router gets an IP address (via DHCP), and we have net connectivity),
> > but I'd like to hack into the device, to play with it, find any
> > tunables and settings, and just understand it better.
> >
> > The public interface of the router gets an IP address from my ISP's
> > address space, and that's the IP address that outbound connections are
> > initiated from. Tracerouting out shows the first hop as a private IP
> > address on my LAN (192.168.0.1), and the next hop is an address in my
> > ISP's space (specifically, the address the router is getting assigned
> > but with the last quad replaced with '1').
> >
> > The thing comes with no manual or disk, just a quickstart guide,
> > containing nothing beyond very basic quickstart instructions. I have no
> > idea if this thing even has a web interface - I can't find one on any
> > of the addresses I've tried. I've tried portscanning with nmap,
> > pointing it at the address of the first hop, and I get no open ports,
> > and the only closed one is 179/bgp; I'm guessing this is my ISP's edge
> > router.
> >
> > Am I correct in assuming that my modem has no IP address, and is
> > operating in bridge mode? Any idea how I can access it? The thing's
> > datasheet claims that it has "extensive SNMP management support", but I
> > have never used snmp and I have no idea what to do with it.
>

> Huh, I dunno. I am used to Moto Surfboards, they all seem to use 192.168.100.1
>
> Actually, I think that might be semi-standard, at least try it. If it has snmp,

Huh, look at that - it has a web interface at that address. How on
earth I was supposed to figure that out is beyond me, but thanks a
million! [I'm used to routers, which in my experience generally use
192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1]

It seems to show a lot of information, but I see almost nothing in the
way of settings. I suppose that if it really has no router
functionality, and just acts as a simple bridge, there isn't much to
tune?

> you could look for that with, say, nmap (assuming it is enabled)
>
> http://serverfault.com/questions/415521/how-to-find-all-the-snmp-enabled-devices-in-my-network

Thanks again.

> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers