Re: Client "daemon" for sorting e-mail via IMAP

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, David Guntner wrote:

Actually, in all the (many) years I've been using Procmail, I've never
once had it fall through and just discard the message outright.  Maybe
that happens if you've got a rule that *would* route to /dev/null and
the errant test above falls through to it?  Beats me.  I'm not doubting
you, I'm just saying that in my personal experience, it's never
happened.  Maybe I've just been lucky. :-)

Glad to hear it :)

I did have it happen during testing.

Mail tends to be pretty tiny compared to modern available storage.  I
have 37GB of personal mail which includes many years of list mail as
well as personal mail.  I suspect most people don't have that much.

Agreed.  I just tend to balk when someone throws out "disk is cheap" in
general terms; I see it bandied about too often by people who don't take
into account that not everyone has money to spend.  Sorry for the
somewhat knee-jerk reaction if that's not what you were doing. :-)

No problem :) It can indeed be used as an excuse instead of fixing a problem.

I once ran a RS/6000 server running AIX at a university.  Disk space was
always an issue since students figured disk space was free (and this was
back in the 90's when those types of SCSI diskpacks cost a bit more than
what you can get for a home computer these days).  We finally stuck a
quota on home directories, and I set up a cron job that would look for
mbox files that were bigger than a given size & gzip them up and put the
.gz into their home directory - and if they were out of space, they lost
their mail.

After that, most of them learned pretty quickly to manage their mail
better. :-)

Hahah :)

Not sure if you've looked at some of the recent innovations but with SANs doing block level dedupe, Dovecot coming out with fancy new deduping storage formats and dbmail doing some interesting stuff also things are a lot less painful than they once were.

Sure, I agree with you here.  But I was keeping things within the
context of the OP's message asking about this type of thing, where the
OP stated needing a way to collect mail and filter into folders
independent of what MUA was being used, running their own system on a
VM.  Within that context, there's no privacy concerns.  At the time, I
didn't realize you were speaking in more general terms about larger
multi-user systems.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Me too. I figured on a list of thousands(?) I better mention it lest someone go out and just turn it on, on their MTA :)

I did a bit of googling as a result of this thread and came across 'fdm' which I haven't seen before. It is in Debian and looks very interesting.

http://fdm.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,

Rob

--