Re: Customized Debian - Was: What are some common problems when using Debian GNU / LINUX?

On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 23:32 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> Disclaimer:  I have never even seen Windows 8, and long may it be so!

Hi all :) hi Lina :)

A friend needed help to set up his Windows 8.

The Windows was already installed to the computer, the user don't need
to install it. A user could also buy a PC with Linux already installed,
but it's not that easy to get and the rip-off usually is more worse than
the Windows-PC-disounter-rip-off already is.

I had to setup PPPoE, it's as hard or easy to do it on Windows as it is
on Linux, but on Linux the clueless user not seldom has to install
packages, before it can be done.

To install Firefox and other software a Windows 8 user only needs to
launch the Windows browser, google for Firefox and then to click a
button to install it.

You might say on Linux, e.g. on Debian the user only needs to launch
Synaptic, to search for Firefox and to click some buttons, but to do
this, the user needs to be aware that there is an application called
Synaptic. The user perhaps won't understand that Synaptic won't find
Firefox, just some obscure Iceweasel.

But this doesn't matter, since the averaged user neither is able to
install apps and set up Internet connections on Linux, nor on Windows.

The averaged dummy-hobby-computer-expert will read a yellow press
article that describes how to launch the Windows browser, to google for
Firefox and how to click the button. For Linux the same user needs to
pay for an expensive Linux magazine that ships with a DVD including a
"special improved Linux magazine Debian version". Again the rip-off is
more evil than the yellow press rip-off + the community has to make the
support for a "special improved Linux magazine Debian version" that is
buggy as hell and has less to do with a Debian from a Debian server or
mirror.

The averaged user has seen this cool discounter printer and WiFi USB
thingy a friend is using for his Windows, so he buys the same printer
and WiFi device. To bad, the printer and WiFi stick don't work on Linux.

I nearly forgot to mention Lennart Poettering. Why does audio not work
for this imaginary user on Linux? He had a Windows install before he
switched to Linux and audio did work.

If people would spend ¼ of the time to learn how o handle Windows, you
and me spend in learning how to manage Linux, they would be able to set
up a stable Windows and to keep the Windows stable, but with the same
effort they wouldn't be able to set up a stable Linux and to keep the
Linux stable.

The are good reasons to prefer Linux, but it for sure is harder to set
up a Linux, to maintain a Linux and while Linux is free as in beer,
hardware is much more expensive and there's much rip-off regarding to
Linux magazines, pre-build Linux machines etc., consumer centers take
care that the rip-off for Windows regarding to magazines and pre-build
computers isn't that evil. To be fair, the rip-off by Microsoft and
software for Windows by other companies is more evil.

Most employers prefer Windows users. Regarding to special tasks there
are nearly no women on e.g. Linux audio users list and many of the men
are unbearable arrogant. There's also a FLOSS community for Windows and
even for special areas there are on a percentage basis more women and
less arrogant nerds joining Windows communities.

I'm against Windows and pro Linux, but I know "normal" people and I'm
aware about reality.

YMMV!

Regards,
Ralf