Re: Gnome 3 Fallback Mode forked

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:50:49 +0100, Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Ralf Mardorf [mailto:ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net]
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:36 AM
To: Mark Allums
Subject: [off-list] Re: Gnome 3 Fallback Mode forked

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:23:38 +0100, Mark Allums <mark@allums.com>
wrote:
> Have you not tried MATE, then?  MATE is the fork of GNOME 2, and they
> have renamed EVERYTHING, and  managed to make it easy for it and
Gnome 3
> to coexist.  Most Gnome apps just need gtk (2 or 3) to run, and don't
> necessarily need all of Gnome in order to be used.  Of course, quite a
> few of them don't make any sense outside the context of Gnome. Anyway,
> MATE is maturing fast, and it's currently pretty nifty.  The objection
> some Debian people have to it is code duplication, but I don't see that > as a big deal. As long as it has maintainers, it will be viable, and an
> awful lot of people really hate Gnome 3.
>
> I also note that Debian has added Cinnamon.  And has had the alpha and
> beta versions of Enlightenment e17 for *years*.

Hi Mark,

I guess you intended replied off-list.

No, I never tested a fork of the big DEs. If there should be a fork of
Evolution, this would be good news.
I used all kinds of versions of e16.9999999999999999999999999, aka e17. It always was to unstable for my taste and while the themes were nice, flashy
when they were introduced in the past, I don't like them anymore.

Regards,
Ralf

Give MATE a whirl. It is a complete entity, and won't conflict with anything else. They have a Debianized version, complete with repository. You can add it to sources.list, install the developer key, and then use apt, aptitude, or Synaptic to install it. Uninstall it the same way. No compiling or fiddling required.

http://mate-desktop.org/
http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download

So it was randomly send off-list?

It only would be intereasting for me, if e.g. evolution would have a fork.

Regards,
Ralf