Re: GDM3 Duplicates Menus Clocks Workspace Switcher etc.

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 20:11:45 +0100, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 19:33:40 +0100, Felix Winterhalter <felix@audiofair.de> wrote:
Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/PfWgl0f.png

It's good that you did add the screenshot, since it's the GNOME3 panel and not GDM, GNOME's display manager. I'm not using GNOME3, but IIRC to access the panel settings, you have to push a key, when clicking the panel, then you could edit the panel or remove it and add a new panel. I also recommend to delete the cache, but since you already deleted /home something seems to be really fishy. No wait, you explicitly run "rm -R *"? This won't delete hidden files! You need to learn about shell globbing.

I recommend to first delete ~/.cache, if this shouldn't do the trick, "mv", IOW rename GNOME configurations inside your home folder.

For your GUI file browser you have to enable show hidden files, perhaps by the a menu "view", to see those files and for the terminal emulation run "ls -hAl", this will give you good human readable information.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: OTOH from where did you recursively deleted files using the asterisk? Resp. seemingly you didn't delete everything, so it shouldn't matter, but even using the asterisk it's possible to delete hidden files, regarding from where you run the remove command.

--
No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Einer guten Tat folgt die Strafe auf dem Fuße!