Re: File descriptor 9 and VLC.

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 09:34:25AM -0800, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> While vlc is producing sound from M1357873276.WAV this
> is observed.
>
> peter@dalton:~$ lsof /home/peter/*.WAV
> COMMAND   PID  USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF    NODE NAME
> vlc     10888 peter    9u   REG    8,6    20470 3612711 /home/peter/M1357873276.WAV
>
> man lsof explains,
> "The mode character is followed by one of these lock  charac-
>   ters, describing the type of lock applied to the file:
>   u for a read and write lock of any length;"
>
> A write lock would prevent another process from writing to
> the file while vlc is working.
>
> Can anyone tell me the meaning of file descriptor 9?

Simply, it is the ninth file handle that vlc has open. When a process
starts, it is provided with three channels of I/O: stdin (0), stdout (1)
and stderr (2). At any point it may open more channels (usually to/from
files) and these would start at 3. It may be that the process opens a
file (say a configuration file on fd 3), then closes it and opens a
different one; in this case the file descriptor can be re-used. I am not
sure of this, but I suspect the allocated file-descriptor number is the
highest number already opened plus one.

If you look at vlc's other opened files, you will probably see that they
are a combination of the stdio channels, control pipes (maybe) and
libraries.