Re: LVM Mirroring

Luca Saletta wrote:
> I'm trying to use LVM on my debian(6.0.6 | 2.6.32-5-686) distribution.
> Every thing went well.

Good.

> I installed the LVM partitions while i was setting up the new OS. (lvm2
> 2.02.66-5)

Good.

> I'm using GRUB2 and the entrys in the grub.cfg are written as well.
>
> menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32-5-686' --class debian
> --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
>         insmod lvm
>         insmod part_msdos
>         insmod ext2
>         set root='(rootVG-rootLV)'
>         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 809a5d50-9789-4e56-952d-868cb243cd0c
>         echo    'Loading Linux 2.6.32-5-686 ...'
>         linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-686 root=/dev/mapper/rootVG-rootLV ro  quiet
>         echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
>         initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686
> }

I have not myself used LVM mirroring.  I have only used mdadm MD
mirroring.  This means I am fuzzy on your exact configuration.  But
the above tells me that you have the root volume directly on lvm using
the rootVG-rootLV volume.  Which is fine.

> Resizing and adding a new Harddrive to the volume group i've created,
> was no problem. But as soon as I tried to set the mirroring my problem
> came up.
>
> The mirroring ist done but as soon as i try to reboot my system, it
> doesn't starts up and im entering the "grub recover"-mode.

This problem sounds very similar to one that was discussed just
recently on Jan 7 "Squeeze assembles one RAID array, at boot but not
the other".  I think that even though you are doing things differently
that the root cause of the problem is very likely the same.

I responded thusly:

But there was much discussion in that thread including my suggestion
to use rescue media to repair the non-booting system.

The /boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r) file is an initial ram filesystem
that must contain all of the information needed for the kernel to boot
to the system.  This includes information on how to mount the root
file system.  For MD (multi-device) mirroring it includes an
mdadm.conf file instructing the bootstrap process on what partitions
to assemble into the raid.  I believe (without knowing) that for LVM
it must do the same thing too.

This means that if you add an additional disk to your LVM based system
then I believe that you must also rebuild the initrd so that it will
include this new disk information.  If it needs to know about the new
disk in order to get the lvm system up and running and to mount the
root file system then I am sure that the initrd needs to be re-frozen
with this new information.

> I used following commands :
> Resizing a FS - lvextend –L +500M /dev/rootVG/rootLV
> Add HDD - vgextend rootVG /dev/sdb
> Set up the Mirroring - lvconvert –m1 –-mirrorlog core /dev/rootVG/rootLV
> lvconvert –m1 –-mirrorlog mirrored /dev/rootVG/rootLV
> (Didn't work...)

I haven't used lvm mirroring and so do not know about the above.

> Now maybe you could help me with whats up to do next?

I suggest the same solution here as in the MD raid boot problem.  I
would use dpkg-reconfigure to run the linux kernel image post install
script to re-freeze the initrd with the current system information.  I
think that is going to be needed for you since you have added
additional disks and those will be needed in order to assemble the
root filesystem for use.  Using 2.6.32-5-amd64 as an example only,
substitute your appropriate flavor:

  dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64

Be sure to look at the instructions in this message for how to use the
installation media as a rescue image.  This will get you booted and
into your system so that you can make administrative changes.

Be sure to let us know how things are going for you.

Bob