Re: Squeeze assembles one RAID array, at boot but not the other

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have two RAID arrays on my Debian squeeze system.  The old one, which
>> still works, and has worked for years, is on a pair of partitions on two
>> 750GB disks.  THe new one is not recognized at boot.
>>
>> boot is *not* on any of these RAIDs; my system boots properly.
>>
>> The new one, whih I build today, resides on similar (but larger)
>> partitions on two 3TB disks.  I partitioned these drives today, using
>> gparted for gpt partitioning, then created a RAID1 from two 2.3GB
>> partitions o these disks, set up LVM2 on the RAID drive, created an LVM
>> partition, put an ext4 file system on it and filled it with lots of
>> data.  The partition definitely exists.
>>
>> But it is not recognized at boot.  The dmesg output tells me all about
>> finding the old RAID, but it doesn't even notice the new one, not even to
>> complain about it.
>>
>> It seems the significant differences bwtween the two RAIDS are:
>>
>> One is new, and the other os old.
>> One is on a GPT-partitioned disk and the other uses the MBR partion table.
>> One is huge and the other is just large.
>>
>> Any ideas where to look?  Or how to work around the problem?
>
> Is the new array listed in mdadm.conf?
>
> Did you rebuild your initramfs?

Was the new gpt array built on the box where it isn't mounting? If
not, you have to mount it whilst updating the hostname in the metadata
(I've forgotten the exact mdadm command). If the metadata doesn't have
the correct hostname, the "homehost", it either doesn't assemble and
mount the array or assembles and mounts it but starts the array
numbering at the other end of the spectrum, "md127" for the first
"foreign" array, "md126" for the second, etc.