start-stop-daemon : questions about retry

Hello,

I am trying to write an init script for cherokee webserver. Not, there is already one, but I wanted to have one derived from skeleton.

In function "do_stop()" the script executes this line:
"start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --retry=TERM/30/KILL/5 --pidfile $PIDFILE --name $NAME"

But nothing happens. I get exit code 1, which means that the daemon was already stopped. But that is not true. The daemon was still running and not cherokee, nor it's subprocesses were stopped.

Am I doing something wrong here?

THanks