Re: Problem Mounting USB Stick in Debian Wheezy

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 10:15:56AM -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I am running Debian Wheezy on an Oracle VB on my Laptop and can't
> mount an USB Stick, although I have installed usbmount.
>
> The system is finding four USB devices:
>
> Logitech USB receiver (my wireless mouse)
> The USB  Stick I mounted
> and two unknown US Devices
>
> I know that the stick is muntable because it mounts when I insert it
> in a USB port that's run Squeeze as a native OS.  I have to conclude
> that the problme is with the virtual machine in which I am running
> Wheezy, but am very hesitant to mess around with VirtualBox as I
> really don't know what I'm doing.

Have you told VirtualBox to connect the USB stick to the guest machine?
By default, VirtualBox will ignore all USB devices and the host will
control them. Plug the USB stick into the host and wait a few moments
for things to settle, then select "Devices > USB Devices > Whatever the
USB Stick shows up as". That should put a tick next to that device and
the guest will be given control of the device. Again, allow things a
moment to settle, then run "lsusb" in the guest to check that it sees
the stick.