KDE kickoff launcher problem

Hi again (still?):

Debian Squeeze system.

After hammering down all of the problems caused by my abortive restore operation, I am left with problems with the KDE Kickoff launcher. Some of my software packages work fine with either the kickoff launcher or with desktop icons. Others won't work with either. I have tried reinstalling the programs and reinstalling KDE. Neither helped. Some of the major programs like Openoffice and Iceweasel will not work at all. I have run out of things to try. I don't understand KDE under the hood well enough to solve this one. All help will be sincerely appreciated.

Gary R.