Re: Xen vs. KVM on Debian squeeze

Greetings,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Chris Davies
<chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk> wrote:
> P. J. McDermott <pjm@nac.net> wrote:
>> I'd like to set up virtualization on a home server with a Debian
>> GNU/Linux squeeze amd64 host and squeeze and wheezy amd64 guests.
>
> I'd recommend KVM and libvirt/VMM.

I'd go for Xen. Not a virtualization expert, but i've installed a
simple dom0 on squeeze with a sid PVM, on async raid1 with LVM; all
through the debian instaler, no trouble. YMMV

> What I like about KVM/libvirt is that it (now) handles LVM as a volume
> pool, so I don't need to use large files in the filesystem to hold
> guests' backing store.

You can use LVM with Xen too.

> What I do like about KVM is its ability to run non-aware guests. I have
> lost track of whether Xen would let me run an instance of Windows 7,
> for example.

Xen supports HVMs, if the host CPU supports virtualization. You can
also use pv-drivers to speed things up.

Just my 2c.

HTH,
Nuno

--
"On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."