Anyone using a Terratec Grabster under Debian?

Hi all,

I've got a bunch of PAL (British) VCR tapes that I'm trying to transfer to DVDs which will play on a standard American DVD player. (Before someone suggests it, no, I don't have a multi-format combo DVD and VHS player!)

The device I'm using for this is a Terratec Grabster, which takes the video output in at one end, and produces an MPEG via a USB connection.

I was doing these conversions on an old Windows XP box, and everything was working just fine, but unhappily my XP box didn't survive a house move. :(

Terratec don't even want to know about Linux, not to mention that my version of the device (the 400 Mk II) is now out of support.

I've tried a VirtualBox VM using my old version of XP, but as best I'm able to determine, there's some problem with the video under a VM. Anyway, I just can't get it to work.

What I would really like to do, of course, is to continue doing the conversions on my 64-bit Debian box, but this means I need to find a driver for the device (I found about the pvrusb2 drivers, but they're a few years old, and there was talk about them being included in later distros - anyone know?) AND I need to find software which can capture the MPEG stream from the USB port.

If anyone out there has already solved this, or even just has some suggestions for what I can try, I'd be grateful.

Brian.