Re: [OT] Good quality hair dryer needed for Squeeze

Mark Panen wrote:
> I am after a good quality hair dryer that works with 6.0.6 amd64.

I really almost hurt myself laughing at your comment.  :-)

> Every time I shut down my machine due to a thunderstorm and try to power up
> again after a couple of hours the machine is dead and only he LED on the
> MOBO is on.
>
> I wasted my bucks on a new PSU.
>
> The only thing that works is hot air from a hair dryer directed at the MOBO
> to the left side of the CPU after cooler for 30 seconds or so.

How old is your motherboard?  Could it be suffering from the bad
capacitor problems of the last decade?  Are any of the caps bulging?
This has been a terrible problem for many motherboards and LCD
monitors.  There were several years there that were very bad.  Older
were fine.  Newer after they addressed the issue is fine.  But within
those years there were huge problems with bad caps.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

I have replaced the bulging caps on a number of LCD monitors.  I have
repaired five of them so far.  I successfully avoided having any
motherboard issues anywhere but I know that many motherboards were
affected by the bad cap problem.  I would look them over very
carefully.  If you determine it is the bad cap problem then you would
probably be able to replace the bad caps.  But if your motherboard has
these then it might be old enough that it might be time for a general
upgrade too.  (Although I am not one to talk on that topic.  Since I
am still running many older machines.)

Bob