Tractor-feed paper (was Re: Shell prompt)

Lisi Reisz grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On Monday 10 December 2012 09:55:28 Chris Bannister wrote:
>> Is it double sheeted with a carbon paper arrangement so the second sheet
>> is a carbon copy of the original?
>
> I've not come across that.  I have only seen and used single "sheets".  But
> there are many things in existence of which I have no knowledge, so ...

Speaking as someone who's worked in mainframe shops (yes, mainframes
still exist :-) ), I can tell you that most of that multipart paper is
NCR ("no carbon required"), which is pressure-sensitive on the second,
third, etc., copy.  Of course either carbon or NCR paper needs to be run
on a dot-matrix or other impact-type printer.  High-speed laser printers
used in that environment (which do use the continuous tractor feed
green-bar paper) won't work for multipart paper.  Well, at least not
past the top copy... :-)

                 --Dave