Re: Debian Squeeze; Does this look like a Driver Issue?

Martin McCormick wrote:
> There are two communications programs I have tried: One
> is specifically designed to run on unix systems and talks
> specifically to a range of radios of the Wouxun brand.

Cool.  But probably not debuggable.

> It is possible that the one I am using is not one of the models this
> software is written for. The link for the software is
>
> http://owx.chmurka.net/

Neat!  I pulled a copy of the source code.  It compiled.  But it did
produce a hand full of 32-bit / 64-bit warnings.  But they were in the
debug output printf statements.  Without looking further it is
probably not going to halt and catch fire or anything.  But the info
output might have issues on a 64-bit machine.

> it's documentation says 9600,n,8,1 which is pretty normal.

Agreed.  That seems pretty normal.

> The other thing I have tried is c-kermit, setting the tty to
> 9600,n,8,1. There is not so much as one complaint about the port
> but nothing happens if I send the string the documentation says
> you should send toget the radio's attention:
>
> HiWOUXUN
>
> followed by a Control-B or 02. The radio is supposed to return a
> control-F. You send another 02 and then it sends a ID string
> back to you

What an arcane handshake protocol!  And an unfortunate choice of
characters because those will be invisible.  You might not be able to
see the handshake with a normal terminal program.

Also there are the hardware handshake signals which can prevent
communication from succeeding.  You might try turning off hardware
flow control.

> Nothing happens but since I posted last, I know there are data being
> sent out the serial port. I tried 38400 baud and when typing certain
> characters, the radio briefly activated its transmitter. This tells
> me it is receiving garbage, most likely, but nonetheless, something
> is being sent on that serial line. I may have answered my own
> question.

I would definitely keep trying combinations until you get it working.

Bob