Re: multiarch - please do not force users to change a running system!

Thanks for the answer, Andrei,
but something is still not completely clear.

> When you purge a package (any package) all its files should be removed
> by dpkg, but sometimes packages generate files on install and don't
> clean up on removal[1]. This is usually a bug which should be reported.
> If it's severe enough it should be fixed before the release of wheezy.

Yes, I know that. But removing (and purge ia32-libs) before change to
multiarch will also remove all 32-bit-apps. But an upgrade will install a
newer package of ia32-libs + stay the 32-bit-apps + install 32-bit-libs from
i386. What happens to the old ones from the former ia32-libs? Will they be
overwritten? Newly linked? Purged?

Of course, I can deinstall and reinstall the 32-bit-apps after moving to
multiarch. But is it really necessary?

> [1] this does not include files in a user's $HOME and files that contain
> user data (e.g. databases stored in /var created by a database
> software). If you watch dpkg output carefully you will notice warnings
> like "did not remove directory ... because not empty", so that you can
> take a look at the remaining files and decide if you still need them or
> not.

Yes, this is how it always was. For these purposes there was "mundus"
developped, but it is still not in debian. I tried mundus today, but it still
lacks. Mundus mourns about too old version of gambas3 from debian, it needs a
newer version of it. However, this is no debian problem at all! Maybe
sometimes it will appear in debian. I can wait. :))

> Hope this helps,
> Andrei

Greets

Hans