Re: multiarch - please do not force users to change a running system!

Hello Hans,

"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
> 1. I can add i386 to the sources list. This will keep and update ia32-libs and
> keep my 32-bit apps - but it will install al lot of new (unnecessary) libs,
> which I do not need and I do not want to install. It is sure, I do not need
> them, as the 32-bit applications are running perfectly as described above.

Exactly. ia32-libs is superseeded by multi-arch, the ia32-libs
package you can upgrade to (version 1:0.4) is actually empty and is
only there to pull in the i386 packages.

> I do not want to fill my system, with unnecessary libs (keep it simple stupid)

This is a simple change in packaging. Chances are that you can
afterwards deinstall ia32-libs (unless you have crappy third-party
software explicitly depending on it) and even remove libraries you
were previously forced to keep (as part of the old ia32-libs package)
but don’t actually need.

> IMO this is a dependency problem. My suggestions for a solution:
>
> 1. Change the dependencies of ia-32-libs, that they do not depend i386-repo.
> 2. No amd64 package should depend on a package of i386-repo.

This will mean that users don’t see a clear migration path from amd64
+ ia32-libs to amd64 + multi-arch and that there is no way to ensure
that all libraries previously contained in ia32-libs are installed
after the migration to multi-arch.

> IMO this would solve a lot of problems and people can decide, if they want to
> use multiarch or not. At the moment, it looks for me, as people are forced to
> use multiarch, if they want to use any 32-bit application.

If you don’t want to use multi-arch, stay with Squeeze.

> But this technically not necessary ( as described above) and it is against
> freedom of choice.

As said before, you actually have more choice with multi-arch than
without.

To reiterate:

Current Squeeze:
- ia32-libs:amd64 contains library X, library Y and library Z in the i386 format
- i386 packages with Architecture:amd64 (such as skype:amd64) can be
  installed, depend on ia32-libs and use these libraries.

Current Wheezy:
- i386 packages can be directly installed as Architecture:i386 and
  directly depend on X:i386 etc. as needed
- ia32-libs:amd64 is empty and depends on X:i386, Y:i386, Z:i386 to
  ensure that if you upgrade from Squeeze, all libraries previously
  found on your system as part of the ia32-libs package are
  installed, furthermore, packages still depend on ia32-libs of
  Architecture:amd64 continue to work.

Best,

Claudius