Re: upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> today, I tried to upgrade from squeeze to wheezzy:

Okay.

> - in source.list, I only left:
>     deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

Okay.  Don't completely forget about security upgrades.  But okay to
upgrade without to keep thing simple.  But also okay to add it now and
upgrade with the security archive in there too.

  deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

Also check /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* for any additional files that are
contributing to the list.  Ensure that there are none.

  ls -ldog /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

> - then, apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade
>   up to now, no problem, a lot of packages were upgraded

Okay.

> - but after reboot,running "apt-get dist-upgrade" gives:

What was the reason for the reboot?  Did you lose power?  You weren't
done yet and should not have rebooted at that point in the upgrade.

>    Calculating upgrade... Failed
>    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>     odbcinst1debian2 : Breaks: libmyodbc (< 5.1.6-2) but 5.1.6-1 is to be installed
>           Breaks: odbc-postgresql (< 1:09.00.0310-1.1) but 1:08.03.0200-1.2 is to be installed
>           Breaks: tdsodbc (< 0.82-8) but 0.82-7 is to be installed

As Tom said those are Squeeze versions.  For example in Wheezy the
package libmyodbc would be version 5.1.10-2+b1 not 5.1.6-1.  That is
why Tom asked for the apt-cache policy output.

> "lsb-release -r" still gives "squeeze", and and I'm left with about
> 1700 packages "not upgraded"

In the future to have avoided this problem run both 'upgrade' and
then followed by 'dist-upgrade' before rebooting.

> Is there a way to  fix this dependency problem? I found nothing
> useful (at least for me) via Google, or debian forums.

Yes.  But I don't yet see exactly why your system is not pulling in
wheezy package versions.

In addition to the sources.list and sources.list.d also ensure that
any /etc/apt/preferences file has been removed.  Contents of that file
will affect pinning.

  # rm -f /etc/apt/preferences

Check that there aren't packages in the "hold" state.

  $ apt-mark showhold

Change all "hold" packages to "install":

  # apt-mark unhold $(apt-mark showhold)

Possibly the apt lists were corrupted.  Pull them again.  It "feels"
to me like when the apt lists are out of sync.

  # apt-get update

Then if that does not resolve the issue with 'upgrade' and
'dist-upgrade' then I would try to install something explicitly and
observe the output for it.

  # apt-get install libmyodbc

That should install libmyodbc version 5.1.10-2+b1 but with the
problems you are reporting it should fail and report some reason.  It
doesn't get you to the end but the messages helps to debug why the
dist-upgrade isn't working as expected.

Explicitly installing a library will mark it as not being
automatically installed.  To tidy things up it should be marked as
installed automatically by dependency.  Later, after you are finished
debugging, mark the package as auto.

  # apt-mark auto libmyodbc

Bob