Re: Failing to install virt-manager on Sid

On 30/11/12 23:37, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Le 30.11.2012 18:43, Alan Chandler a écrit :
I am trying to install virt-manager on sid, but I am getting a
dependancy blockage which I don't understand

virt-manager ultimately depends on libvirt0 - which seems to have
version (0.9.12-5) in the sid repository

libvirt0 depends on libnetcf1 - however libnetcf1 says it needs at
least 0.10.1-2

I can see that experimental has that version, but its does not seem
to be able to get into sid.  I am not sure why

Is there a freeze or something on.

Hum. Let me say, first, that my words will *NOT* be very accurate, because for some reasons I am not in my "usual mind". It includes acid words, but, please, do not take care of that.

This said, I will try to explain what I think is your problem.

YOU ARE USING SID!!!!
Sid is the broken version of Debian, you should know that. The easiest solution for you is to use apt-pinning, which means things can be broken quite often.

I know that, but I've been stuck on it for about 10 years now and can never seem to find my way off. Mostly it does what I want for my desktop machine although occassionally we get these little hickups where things break. Normally they are short lived, but this one seems different. I am much more comfortable with what I have now and have been thinking of jumping into testing and then letting it slide towards the next stable release.

What stops me is the fact that stuff never completely works and I end up deciding it will get fixed more quickly in sid.

I like to run stable debian on my servers (although I have been conned by needing a an up to date mythtv backend into using ubuntu-server. I am appalled by how often it needs a reboot, but I am not sure how I can find my way back without some major disruption)

Now, should I describe apt-pinning?

I understand apt-pinning - I did it before in a situation like this, so I will probably set that up next

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk