Re: Installation

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Christofer C. Bell
<christofer.c.bell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> Then you better stop here and solve this step before going any further
>>
>> How?
>>
>> In order to go from "no working computer" to "a working computer", at the
>> very least, someone has to install an operating system. If you're the only
>> one available, and the OS whose install media is available is Debian, then
>> the only way you're going to get a working computer is for you to install
>> Debian.
>
> The installation media you are using was created on a working
> computer. Use that one to read documentation or print manuals. If
> you got the disc from a magazine, then read the article in the
> magazine the CD came with. If it was handed to you by a friend, then
> that friend is your resource. If you found the disc in the trash and
> have absolutely *no idea* what you're doing, then I guess installing
> an operating system isn't for you. The "bare metal computer on a
> desert island with nothing but a CD" situation you're imagining simply
> doesn't happen. Camaleón is exactly right.

Camaleon and Chrstopher are right. Furthermore, if Debian's the only
OS that you're installing on a box, you can just follow the defaults
as you would for Windows or OS X. If you intend to dual-boot and reach
a section of the installer (like partitioning) that you really don't
understand, you can abort the installation and look at the
documentation via the already-installed OS.