Re: Getting 3D graphics support out of my ATI Rage XL video chip?

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 10:27:50 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 16:19:17 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I said the computer was new TO ME.  I never said it was NEW. This is a
>> server machine literally thrown away by a business. But it is now the
>> most capable machine that I own.
>
> No need to SHOUT.

Text-only e-mails have their limitations.  I can't use other emphasis
techniques such as italics and bold face, like one can in a word
processor.  Therefore, I use upper case for emphasis.  There are
other techniques that people use, such as enclosing the word or phrase
in asterisks or underscores or other special characters, such as *to me*.
But this may interfere with word matching.  Therefore, I use upper
case to emphasize a word or phrase.  It's not shouting.  Now if I were
to write a whole sentence or a whole paragraph in upper case, that would
be shouting.

> As you should know, GNOME 3 does not require a 3D capable VGA but "gnome-
> shell". You can still use GNOME 3 with the classic desktop; that you
> don't want it is a different issue. That said I wouldn't rely that gnome-
> shell can any good with a VGA chipset which is that old.

I may not be using your terminology, but when I booted the machine after
installation for the first time, I got this message:

   GNOME 3 Failed to Load

   Unfortunately GNOME 3 failed to start properly and started in the fallback
   mode.

   This most likely means your system (graphics hardware or driver) is not
   capable of delivering the full GNOME 3 experience.

I seem to recall from posts to the list which were made around the time that
GNOME 3 came out that this condition was the result of lack of 3D
support in the video driver.  The term "fallback mode" is used
in the message.  The term "gnome-shell" is not.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :