Re: Getting 3D graphics support out of my ATI Rage XL video chip?

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 12:24:00 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:
> the VGA chipset is about 8 years (or so) old so
> don't expect astonishing results :-)

I said the computer was new TO ME.  I never said it was NEW.
This is a server machine literally thrown away by a business.
But it is now the most capable machine that I own.

> And you need 3D acceleration because...?

I don't NEED it, I just WANT it.  I want it
mainly because I want to run GNOME 3.  GNOME 3 initializes
in fallback mode if the graphics chip does not support 3D
acceleration, it seems.

> I will add this one:
>
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting

I can't seem to connect to the site right now.  I get a
"503 Service Unavailable".  I'll try again later.

> I wonder why people is so reluctant about installing packages from the
> outside when this involves upstream projects which are well-known and
> trustworthy :-?

It's not a trust issue.  I just prefer to stick to Debian packages
because they are likely to be better integrated with the Debian
maintenance procedures.  For example, when using Nvidia drivers I
much prefer to stick to Debian packages rather than download stuff
directly from Nvidia because applying system maintenance is much
less likely to break the driver if I use Debian packages.

> There exists this package but not sure if it's for the same purpose :-?
>
>    http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xserver-xorg-video-mach64

No, that is a binary user-space X driver, which is what the X server
is using now.  The package I was referring to apparently contained the
source code for the mach64 kernel module, among other things.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :