Re: new installation preserving /home partition

"Weaver" <weaver@riseup.net> writes:

> On Fri, September 7, 2012 5:33 pm, Mauricio Calvao wrote:
>> to move on to Debian 6 (squeeze) and then possibly even to Debian sid,
>> which I have already used for some time as the aptosid
>> distribution. I would like however to preserve my /home partition. Is
>> that **advisable** or should I delete this partition as well?
>
> No, you can do that.
> The facility to have the /home partition specified, in a new install, is
> there along with the choice to preserve the data on it.
>
> I usually install a /, swap and /home partition.
> If I nuke an install, replacing the root partition only and merely
> specifying the other two works.

It's saver to use a "fake" home during installing and then switch over
to the real one once the new installation works. I rather have the
installer not touch my home partition and, if possible, physically
disconnect the disks while installing. It's easy to make a little
mistake ...

--
Debian testing amd64