Re: Why compiling.

On 10/07/12 04:22 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Ma, 10 iul 12, 15:08:52, Celejar wrote:
And why do I care whether the kernel I compile locally for a
specific machine is portable?
Imagine a situation where due to whatever reason the kernel image of
your router machine gets corrupted, then you can just copy the file from
another machine ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei
Or if you need to change your hardware. Or if you want to use your drive to boot another machine - such as for testing or demonstration purposes.

Having a portable kernel is a lot simpler than trying to rescue a non-bootable machine from a live CD.