Re: [OT] Re: the ghost of UEFI and Micr0$0ft

Lisi:

> I am just sorry that they have changed it at all.  Ubuntu now has 5 year
> support for its long term supported version.  Such a pity that Debian is
> going the other way. :-(

This comparison is a bit unfair since Ubuntu officially only supports
its "main" repository which is, as far as I know, considerably smaller
than Debian's "main". And the LTS promise isn't kept for all flavours or
parts of Ubuntu.[1] AFAIU, Ubuntu's upgrade policy for stable releases
isn't as strict as Debian's either.[2]

So while Debian's stable releases aren't supported as long as Ubuntu's
LTS releases, Debian support covers more packages and is more
conservative in what it includes -- even if that means more work.

And, BTW, Desktop LTS support lasts only for 3 years, not 5.

J.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

    The LTS designation applies only to specific subsets of the Ubuntu
    archive. The LTS may not apply to all flavors and remixes of Ubuntu.
    For example, for 8.04 LTS, Kubuntu chose to move to KDE 4.0 and
    didn't issue an LTS release. In 10.04, the Netbook Edition was not
    an LTS. The project will decide which flavors will be LTS and the
    support duration for each, early in the LTS development cycle.

[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

    In some cases, when upstream fixes bugs, they do a new microrelease
    instead of just sending patches. If all of the changes are
    appropriate for an SRU by the criteria above, then it is acceptable
    (and usually easier) to just upload the complete new upstream
    microrelease instead of backporting the individual patches. Note
    that some noise introduced by autoreconf is okay, but making
    structural changes to the build system (such as introducing new
    library dependencies) is generally not.

    If a new upstream release has more intrusive changes, you need to
    request an exception from the Technical Board, especially if you are
    going to upload the package with non-SRU changes multiple times in
    the future. Please see special cases below.

--
I like my Toyota RAV4 because of the commanding view of the traffic
jams.