Re: unique install question? (Squeeze audio install using the Wheezy-di from a USB drive)

On Thu 14 Jun 2012 at 13:17:59 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On 13/06/12 19:29, Brian wrote:

> >> Instead of just hitting "Enter" at every opportunity try the "expert"
> >> - prior to partitioning (*before anything is written to the hard drive*)
> >> you'll be asked which release you want to install:-
> >>
> >> Stage: Choose a mirror of the Debian archive
> >> di question:
> >> Debian version to install:
> >> choice: squeeze - stable
> >
> > The main menu for a netinst iso:
>
> This is an *audio* install - hence the OPs choice of the Wheezy
> installer. There is no graphical menu.

My understanding of the situation hasn't changed since I first read the
original post.

> Boot from wheezy and combine speakup with an expert install and the
> Squeeze DVDs to build Squeeze.
>
> Pick a method to start the speakup installer (the OP provided detailed
> instructions for one method).
> Combine it with expert (low debconf).
>
> start install with cmdline "/install.386/vmlinux vga=788 priority=low
> initrd=/install.386/gtk/initrd.gz speakup.synth=soft -- quiet":-
> ;pick speakup from the menu - edit it to add priority=low
> ;after disk noise stops press 's' then Enter, at first menu select the
> ;change priority/debconf
> ;other variations
>
> (one method):-
> Follow the voice prompted menu...
> language - choose 6 (English - default)
> location - 2
> locale - 2
> additional locale - 135
> default locale - 1
> *then* choose detect and mount cd-rom
> which is where you'd add the first Squeeze CD-ROM...

Adding the first Squeeze CD is on the difficult side when there is only
one CD-ROM on the machine. Perhaps you mean the Wheezy CD should be
removed first. We'll do that, although it can be forecast what is going
to happen.

Step 4 is successful. The CD-ROM is detected and the CD is reported as
containing the Binary-1 for Squeeze. Great, we are on our way!

Now for loading the installer components. Full stop!

    No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a
    mismatch between the kernel used by this version of the
    installer . . . .

The installer is using a Wheezy kernel; the modules on the Squeeze CD
are for a Squeeze kernel. Sounds reasonable.

Ok, we'll leave the Wheezy CD in the drive and add the Squeeze CD on a
USB stick. This is the same as having a machine with two CD-ROMs as far
as d-i is concerned.

At step 4 the Wheezy CD is detected and the install continues with it.
Seems sensible. Why choose a Squeeze CD to use when it does not have the
correct kernel modules?

> > I don't see what you do. Is this a bug in my installer?
>
> There is a bug, but clearly it's not in your installer.

The significant thing here is your failure to remark on the missing
stage in the main menu (Choose a mirror of the Debian archive) which you
claimed would offer a choice of which Debian version to install. It
seems we are in agreement it does not exist for an install from the
first CD or a netinst iso. It's good to have that out of the way.

You have now taken a completely different tack. It is one which is not
documented in the installer manual and is doomed to failure.